Hilton today announced robust Canadian expansion plans for Canopy by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton and Tru by Hilton, driven by the region’s thriving tourism industry. Providing guests with vibrant, unique experiences at different price points, the expanded footprint of Tru by Hilton and the introduction of Canopy by Hilton and Tapestry Collection by Hilton into Canada will offer travelers more options in the country.
Canada has seen an impressive upswing in tourism and in the first quarter of 2019, the tourism economy grew nearly 4%*. In a year-on-year comparison, the country experienced an 8% increase in tourism growth, with overnight arrivals from the U.S. increasing 5% in the first five months of 2019.
Hilton has the largest hotel construction pipeline in Canada with nearly 70 hotels and 8,000 rooms, comprising 22% of the total hotel pipeline in market. Key growth milestones anticipated during the next four years include:
- Tapestry Collection by Hilton: Tapestry Collection has three hotels anticipated to open in three cities – Moncton, Mississauga and Calgary. The first, Canvas Moncton, plans to open its doors before the end of the year.
- Tru by Hilton: Tru by Hilton has nearly 10 additional hotels in its pipeline that are expected to open by the end of 2021, primarily in Ontario.
- Canopy by Hilton: Hilton’s lifestyle brand is set to debut in Canada in 2022 with Canopy by Hilton Toronto – Yorkville. The property will be located at the cross-section of several neighborhoods known for high-end retail and vibrant culture, and will provide guests with a variety of thoughtfully local on- and off-property experiences.
- All Suites Brands by Hilton: Earlier this year, Hilton’s All Suites brands, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton, announced their 30th Canadian hotel opening with Homewood Suites by Hilton Ottawa Downtown.
- Full Service and Focused Service Brands by Hilton: Growth across Full Service and Focused Service categories has steadily increased in the last three years, with plans for future in-market development: DoubleTree by Hilton has 15 hotels and nearly 10 in its pipeline; Hilton Garden Inn has 25 hotels and more than five in the pipeline; Hampton by Hilton has 58 hotels and nearly 10 in its pipeline.
“The introduction of Tapestry Collection to a country experiencing a significant rise in tourism is an exciting prospect for a brand still in its early development,” said Jenna Hackett, global head, Tapestry Collection by Hilton. “Our debut in the Canadian market will allow us to reach a new set of guests and offer those who have grown to love the Tapestry Collection brand more opportunities for authentic, independent experiences outside of the U.S.”
Earlier this year, Tru by Hilton opened its first hotel outside the United States, Tru by Hilton Edmonton Windermere. Conveniently located in Alberta’s Southern Business District, the property is just 20 minutes’ drive from the Edmonton International Airport and steps away from shops, food and area attractions including the West Edmonton Mall, the largest mall in North America.
“Building on the fastest brand launch in hospitality industry history, and with the largest midscale pipeline in the Americas, Tru by Hilton has so much runway for growth,” said Talene Staab, global head, Tru by Hilton. “Canada provides the perfect opportunity for our brand to expand beyond the U.S., delivering a consistent, fun guest experience at an affordable price, while offering an appealing entry point for owners to join the Hilton family or expand their portfolio.”
“We are particularly excited about the growth opportunities in Canada for our newer brands, as our owners confidently embrace our organic growth strategy,” said Matt Wehling, senior vice president, development, U.S. and Canada, Hilton. “Thank you to our owners for their partnership. The successes we’ve had in Canada across our recognized brands including DoubleTree by Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn and Hampton by Hilton demonstrate their commitment to an outstanding guest experience, and have paved the way for the introduction of our new brands.”
Canopy by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton and Tru by Hilton are all part of the award-winning Hilton Honors guest-loyalty program. Hilton Honors members who book directly have access to instant benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay, an exclusive member discount, free standard Wi-Fi and access to the Hilton Honors mobile app.