Ryanair has announced plans to cut check bag fees by introducing a lower cost €/£8 x10kg check bag service (currently €/£25 x20kg) and reduce the volume of free 2ndgate bags which has been causing flight delays, from 1 Nov next as follows:
– Priority Boarding customers (currently 30%) can continue to bring 2 free carry-on bags (1 x 10kg wheelie bag and 1 small bag).
– Non-priority customers can only bring 1 free (small) carry-on bag from 1 Nov.
– If non-priority customers want to bring a 2nd bigger (wheelie) bag they can buy a lower cost 10kg check bag for €/£8 at time of booking (currently a 20kg bag costs €/£25). This 10kg wheelie bag must be checked in at the airport bag drop desk.
– All customers with checked bags can now switch from the €/£25 x20kg bag to the cheaper €/£8 x10kg checked bag.
– The new policy will go live at boarding gates on/after 1 November 2018 and for all bookings made on/after 1 September 2018.
60% of Ryanair customers will be unaffected by this bag policy change, since 30% of customers already buy Priority Boarding and 30% already travel with only 1 free (small) carry-on bag. Ryanair expects that of the remaining 40% of (non-priority) customers affected by this new policy, most will either switch to priority boarding or will switch to traveling with 1 free (small) carry-on bag only, and others will buy the lower cost 10kg check bag.
The size of the free small carry-on bag is 40 x 20 x 25cm (20,000 cm³).
The size of small bag sizer is 42 x 20 x 30 cm (25,200 cm³).